[mdlug] Cups printer/scanner

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Sat Nov 24 20:59:11 EST 2007

2007-11-24, Monsieur Michael Newman a ecrit:
> Yesterday was black Friday, and looking at sales we saw quite a few
> printers that were really great. My home network is all connected to
> base ubuntu server 7.10 and my current lexmark x7100 series, which
> worked great on my old Windows network that I am desperately getting
> rid of, doesn't have any support according to internet searches.

You could try the drivers for the 7200 or 7000. Those come with CUPS.
Worst case you can try importing the Windows .ppd file for the 7100,
most distros have a printer configuartion GUI that lets you do that.

> I know there are drivers that work with hp printers, but do the
> scanners work well too? How do they work in a shared environment? What
> level of difficulty work it take to install this on my network? Has
> anyone done this with an hp printer? Lastly, but not least, anyone
> have any recommendations of a linux compatable scanner/printer/copier
> that prints photographs (high quality).

I have an HP laserjet hooked up to my router via JetDirect, so all
the computers on my home LAN, regardless of OS, can use it without
needing a dedicated print server that's always on. It was dead simple
to set up in Fedora.

Michael