[mdlug] A big opportunity for Linux?

Rich Clark <rrclark@rrclark.net> rrclark at rrclark.net
Fri Nov 23 14:02:27 EST 2007

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Garry Stahl wrote:
> I simply seriously object to having something I do not want shoved down
> my throat.  I can't buy a new laptop for example without paying the
> Vista Tax.  I want a new laptop and really need one.  But there is that
> Vista tax and it really sticks in my craw.

I just bought my son a laptop for his birthday via Dell's website. Offered
were some pretty powerful Inspiron models installed with XP. You can guess
what we chose. When it arrives I'll probably reformat the hard drive and
reinstall XP in one partition and Ubuntu or Mandriva in several other
partitions.

You can also order similar models with Ubuntu only installed, and I'm
typing on a Dell Inspiron 1420 that came factory-installed with Ubuntu.
I've had zero problems with this laptop.