[mdlug] A big opportunity for Linux?

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 10:34:48 EST 2007

> In actual practice in the workplace, I've never seen
> u/g/o rwx to be insufficient for that sort of task.

Wow, and how many groups do you have defined on your system?

> I suppose the CIA would be an exception...but that's a VERY
> special exception.
> Even in the combat environment of Baghdad, ACLs are an
> extremely heavy-handed way of solving the problem (and
> in many ways, even clumsier than u/g/o rwx).

Clumsier than u/g/o? That's just crazy,  u/g/o is what is awkward and
arbitrary.  It is a clear vestige of a time when flexible security
wasn't an issue.

I'm sorry your user's can grasp "permissions".   Even my salespeople
intuitively understand permissions - "that how I can keep that other guy
from diddling with my accounts!"

Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com
Developer - http://www.opengroupware.org