[mdlug] A big opportunity for Linux?

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 19 21:26:15 EST 2007

David Lane wrote:

> Is there a windows GUI resource that Allows you to Linux Remote from a
> Windows pc?
>
> David

Do you mean a full remote desktop, of just running individual GUI
applications remotely? For the later some might recommend cygwin, but I
have no experience with that. But you might try ssh -X from Damn Small
Linux running in a VMware player session.

It seems to work quite well, I trying it out right now. I'm composing
this message while sitting at my laptop in my living room. Thunderbird
is running on a computer in my basement but displaying in a DSL window
in on Vista.

I'm not sure what facilities cygwin provides but if you just need a
local X environment for the display of remote applications this seems
like a good way to go.

Raymond McLaughlin