[mdlug] [Fwd: OLPC at the Michigan User Group meeting Nov 13]

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Fri Nov 2 09:59:10 EDT 2007

  Our next MUG <www.mug.org> meeting is Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Download it, print it out PFD Announcement Flier
<http://www.mug.org/twiki/pub/Mugwiki/Meeting-20071113/mug_20071113.pdf>
and pass it out to everyone, your friends, coworkers, classmates,
facility in your local school district, community college, university,
EVERYONE. Also, notice we've become a member of the O'Reilly user group
program. The details of which will be forthcoming.

      Main Topic: One Laptop Per Child (OLPC)

*Ivan Krstić - Director of Security Architecture for the OLPC project*

This month we have a fantastic opportunity to see what OLPC
<http://laptopfoundation.org/en/index.shtml> is all about from a member
of the OLPC team.

Ivan is a software architect and researcher currently on leave from
Harvard University. Prior to joining OLPC, he served as director of
research at the Medical Informatics Laboratory at Zagreb Children's
Hospital, developing software infrastructure for wide-scale digital
healthcare. He is deeply involved in open-source and free software,
notably as an administrator of the Ubuntu Server Team and co-author of
the best-selling Official Ubuntu Book, and specializes in architecture
and security of large distributed systems. He has consulted on both
matters for some of the largest websites on the Internet.

Ivan will share with us insights into the OLPC project that you just
can't get anywhere else. He's prepared to tell us about the technology,
security, science and anything else we want to know about the project.

Ivan is traveling from Cambridge, MA to Detroit specifically to be at
our meeting. This is our chance fill the auditorium and show Ivan how
strong the open source community is in south east Michigan.

If you have topics for future meetings you would like us to cover please
email the board <mailto:board at mug.org>, thanks.

      Where:

The MUG meetings are held at:

Farmington Community Library - Main Branch <http://www.farmlib.org>
32737 W. 12 Mile Rd.
Farmington Hills, MI 48334-3302

Click here
<http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&formtype=address&searchtype=address&cat=&address=32737%20W%2012%20Mile%20Rd&city=Farmington%20Hills&state=MI&zipcode=48334%2d3302&searchtab=home>
for a map of the area.

      When:

the meetings are on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

6:00pm 	Doors open, registration 	     O'Reilly
<http://www.oreilly.com>
6:30pm 	Meeting starts, Mug business
6:45pm 	Main presentation
8:15pm 	2nd Presentation