[mdlug] Mark Shuttleworth on MS patent threat

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue May 22 13:09:13 EDT 2007

> From: Michael Corral

> "I think Microsoft and the Linux community will actually end
> up fighting on the same side of this issue."

 Unlikely but possible. The current patent regime is broken, and big
companies are required to assemble big libraries of only semi-defensible
patents to prevent being sued by other big companies. If MS could limit
patents only to really novel inventions, they might be willing to go for
that.

 I think most Linux types would prefer no software patents at all (for
various reasons - e.g. software is algorithms, i.e. math, and you can't
patent math) but a more limited patent regime where only really novel
breakthroughs get patented *might* be acceptable compared to what we now
have.

 Some fairly unlikely things would have to happen for that to come to pass,
though.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                           (313) 227-2317

 "The computing industry is given 12 months to deploy a technology
 that does not exist and whose sole purpose is to protect profits.
 The car industry was allowed decades to deploy safety features such
    as seat belts and air bags that were designed to save lives."
   - Zeinfeld, on the SSSCA, a proposed law that would mandate all
 computers to prevent any file copying whatsoever unless explicitly
          approved by the entertainment conglomerates