[mdlug] Linspire caves in to Microsoft patent threat

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:32:28 EDT 2007

On 5/16/07, Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net> wrote:
> Wolfger a ecrit:
> > As I thought... pure speculation, no fact.
>
> No, not really. It's there:
> "However, we're realistic enough to understand that other customers will
> want the best software available, regardless of whether it's purely open
> source or "mixed source," combining open source along with patented
> technology when necessary, at a fair and reasonable price, and without
> any uncertainty as to the software's legality."
>
> If you still have trouble reading and comprehending that, let me
> know and I can try to explain it to you further.

I have no problems reading that at all. It does not say what you claim
it does. Or are you upset that a commercial distro is charging a
price? They are very much leaving "open source, mixed source, and
combining with patented tech" up to the user to decide based on the
letter. Which is as it should be. The main diff between Linspire and
any other distro is that Linspire is more than happy to accept payment
for the non-Free stuff (as well as the Free stuff). I thought their
package management/purchase tool was a fantastic idea (but very poorly
executed) when I tried Freespire out.

> Does that mean you haven't actually read the proposed GPLv3?

That is correct. I am predominantly an end-user, not a lawyer nor a
programmer of Free software.

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/