[mdlug] Turner on O'Reilly.net: Looks like Microsoft is ramping up for Son of SCO

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue May 15 15:03:11 EDT 2007

> From: Michael Corral

> > If they go after big names, they get that *plus* a potentially crippling
> > patent  war. No, they'll keep their weapons holstered, and instead growl
> > and threaten to try to keep the sheep in line.
>
> Well, I wouldn't be so sure about the patent war. Everyone seems to be
> counting on IBM to step in, with their massive patent portfolio, and
> to take on Microsoft.

 I never said that - indeed, I specifically talked about the possibility
of them going after "small potatoes". I think that the patent regime is
now changed to make challenging patents dramatically easier, and SCO served
as a good dry run to get things like Groklaw developed, which would be of
enormous help to any smaller company sued by MS on these grounds. I don't
think they'd have to go it alone. I know *I'd* contribute to their defense
fund.

> Because of that, I think it's dangerous to be
> somewhat cavalier and say "Oh, Microsoft is just bluffing, they
> wouldn't actually do anything". That's typical of famous last words.

 If MS 'goes nuclear', I'd be worried in some senses, yes. But I'd also
regard it as a *good* sign in other ways - it would mean they perceived
an existential threat that was more important than the (substantial)
downsides of such an offensive. A wounded animal on its last legs can
do damage, yes... but I'd be heartened to see MS that scared.

> The dominant
> position they've had, which seemed so unshakeable just a few years
> ago, suddenly doesn't seem so certain anymore. They may be getting
> worried and feel like legal action is necessary.

 I really feel that's years away. They have billions of dollars to
burn through before they get to that level. Look at SCO, which was on
life support before they decided to bet the company on suing Linux.
MS doesn't perceive an existential threat yet - look how much money
they are willing to sink into their XBox entertainment division, which
has posted one (1) profitable quarter in five years. When they cancel
the XBox stuff, *then* worry about them suing Linux users.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                            (313) 227-2317

 "Windows is easy to learn, but hard to use. Linux is
     hard to learn, but easy to use." - Anonymous