[mdlug] Turner on O'Reilly.net: Looks like Microsoft is ramping up for Son of SCO

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Tue May 15 12:17:58 EDT 2007

Ingles, Raymond a ecrit:
> I'm not so worried. I believe predictions of the death of FOSS are
> rather overblown.

I didn't think that the article Rich linked to predicted that FOSS
will die, just that it *could* if Microsoft actually takes their
claims to court and wins. But I do think it's unlikely.

[snip]
> If they go after big names, they get that *plus* a potentially crippling
> patent  war. No, they'll keep their weapons holstered, and instead growl
> and threaten to try to keep the sheep in line.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure about the patent war. Everyone seems to be
counting on IBM to step in, with their massive patent portfolio, and
to take on Microsoft. But beating Microsoft is different from beating
up on small-time chumps like SCO. Would IBM risk a long, bitter fight
with Microsoft, just to defend Linux, when they could just reach some
kind of agreement like the MS/Novell deal? I have no idea what's
going to happen. Because of that, I think it's dangerous to be
somewhat cavalier and say "Oh, Microsoft is just bluffing, they
wouldn't actually do anything". That's typical of famous last words.
It's better to be prepared for the worst case. They're spreading FUD
right now, of course, but I'm not convinced that they wouldn't be
reckless enough to actually start taking people to court. Especially
since Vista has been a dud, and they might be getting worried about
their place in the near future of the computing world. The dominant
position they've had, which seemed so unshakeable just a few years
ago, suddenly doesn't seem so certain anymore. They may be getting
worried and feel like legal action is necessary.

Michael