[mdlug] need fstab and/or openGL help

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Fri May 11 05:34:50 EDT 2007

On 5/10/07, Raymond McLaughlin <driveray at ameritech.net> wrote:

> > # Pluggable devices are handled by uDev, they are not in fstab
> <snip>
> > /dev/hdb2 /home/wolfger/torrents ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
> > /dev/hdb5 /home/wolfger/Shared ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
> <snip>
> > # Dynamic entries below
> > /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0
> > /dev/hdb3 /mnt/hdb3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
> <snip>
>
> Can you mount hdb1 and hdb3 as you could before?

Yes. hdb3 is the partition containing the fstab that I copied the hdb2
and hdb5 mounting info from. Haven't tried hdb1 (old defunct /boot...
not groking how Mepis does things without a /boot partition, but...)
Also, I can still boot the computer to the old install on hdb3, and
when I do that hdb2 and hdb5 mount properly.

> At this point you should probably run fsck on all the file systems on
> this drive. I recommend that you have a look at man fsck first and
> choose your options carefully.

Is that necessary considering the above statement?

> You could also try  manually mounting the drives as root, as Jonathan
> recommended, but unless you in a hurry this might be a good time to
> check your file systems and hard drive health. See also man hdparm and
> man smartctl.

Gonna be a busy weekend... I'll try to remember these things when I
get some free time.

> > No errors at all. Entering those commands as root mounts those
> > partitions accordingly. It's just not happening on boot.
>
> Yow! That's weird. You might try:
>     # grep 'May 10' /var/log/messages | grep mount

Not seeing anything there to indicate a problem. I'm pasting the
results for May 11, which includes only 1 reboot, and looks identical
to May 10 but it shorter:
root at 1[wolfger]# grep 'May 11' /var/log/messages | grep mount
May 11 05:15:32 redeye kernel: [   24.296873] EXT3-fs: mounted
filesystem with ordered data mode.
May 11 05:15:32 redeye kernel: [   36.441865] EXT3-fs: mounted
filesystem with ordered data mode.

So if I'm reading this right, it's mounting / and mounting swap, and
not even trying to mount the others?

> to see if any errors show up there. Another possibility is that somehow
> non-printing control characters got into your fstab. You might try
> retyping new copies of the pertinent lines, and deleting the old ones,

Did that, just prior to the above grep. obviously, it didn't fix
things, although I call that the best guess yet. :-) I have had some
issues like that in the past, and I'm upset I didn't think of trying
that on my own.
I wouldn't have come for help if this was an easy problem! ;-)

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/