[mdlug] need fstab and/or openGL help

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Thu May 10 20:03:33 EDT 2007

Wolfger wrote:
> With the new board and chip came a new install of a new (version of
> my) distro, and with that came... new problems! Yay!

> To start with, my drives aren't mounting properly. I copied the lines
> right out of my old fstab into the new one, but my ~/Shared and
> ~/torrents dirs don't get mounted.

    wolfger at 1[~]$ cat /etc/fstab
    # Pluggable devices are handled by uDev, they are not in fstab
    /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
    /dev/hda2 swap swap sw,pri=1 0 0
    /dev/hdb2 /home/wolfger/torrents ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
    /dev/hdb5 /home/wolfger/Shared ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1

<snip>
You say this is a new install, so I surmise that you let the
installation program create and format your / correct? If not you really
should have. So was it just the second two lines above that you copied
over? Little matter really, the first thing to do is get into a root
shell and run:
    #fdisk -l
this will output a description of how the current running system sees
your hard drives and their partition tables. You will likely find that
what you are calling '/dev/hdb2' and '/dev/hdb5' have moved. It should
be fairly easy to recognize them by their sizes, etc. Then the simplest
thing to do is change your fstab entries to match what the system sees,
and run (as root) 'mount -a'. This should mount everything as it would
be mounted at boot. But of course the real acid test is a real reboot.

Your mount problem could be something else, but the output of 'fdisk -l'
is really needed for further diagnosis.

I hope this helps
Raymond McLaughlin