[mdlug] Automotive technical info wanted (only slightly off topic)

Robert Meier nobody at wwnet.com
Wed May 9 11:12:21 EDT 2007

Drew,

Perhaps this is a good subject for this Saturday meeting.
Bring your automobile, and ...

>    Now, to get the hardware that will enable said Palm 105 to talk
> to the OBD port...
>    I'm wondering, maybe it would be feasible to borrow your
> equipment, plug that in, and connect a VOM to the MAF sensor
> wires to hand-record for a graph of output voltage versus
> air mass flow? Just what *is* the output of this sensor?

I can bring my OBD-II modem and voltimeter to the meeting this Saturday.
If I get my laptop working,
I will also have my ScanTool.net software available for demo.

Without looking in the service manual, I suspect my MAF sensor, like
most of my sensors
	o is buried in my car out of reach without impractical disassembly
	o is closely attached to or potted with a PIC-like chip
	o has no analog output externally available
	o has only OBD-II signals externally available

See you Saturday,
--
Dr. Robert J. Meier