[mdlug] Dual Core with Hyper Threading

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue May 8 13:18:02 EDT 2007

> From: David Lane

> Looking in the PC stores I see a huge drop in cpu prices and the New
> Duo has Hyper threading so the operating systems "See" 4 CPU's. the
> last time I checked some Linux Distro's only allow 2.

 I thought most of the commercial distros (Red Hat, SUSE) had abandoned
per-CPU licensing and were allowing as many as you could stuff in? I also
thought that hyperthreading was not counted as a 'licensed' CPU and only
physical CPUs counted, even when they were doing per-CPU stuff?

 That seems borne out by this:

 http://builder.com.com/5100-6390_14-5355332.html

 The non-commercial distros (e.g. OpenSUSE, Ubuntu) won't have any arbitrary
CPU limits.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                               (313) 227-2317

   "Several thousand years ago, a tribe of ignorant near-savages wrote
 various collections of myths, wild tales, lies, and gibberish. Over the
 centuries, these stories wore embroidered, garbled, mutilated, and torn
   into small pieces that were then repeatedly shuffled. Finally, this
   material was badly translated into several languages successively.
 The resultant text, creationists feel, is the best guide to this complex
 and technical subject [of origins]." - Tom Weller, _Science_Made_Stupid_