[mdlug] Automotive technical info wanted (only slightly off topic)

Robert Meier eaglecoach at wwnet.com
Mon May 7 21:09:45 EDT 2007

Evan, Drew,

> If the seals are of the type which can't do ETOH,
> then [your owner's manual] will say that your car can't
> use fuel with ANY ethanol at all.
> As an example, my 2001 Saturn L series from GM can't take any.

> ...  Problem is, I can't remember if the European engine was the one
> which could take it or not....

My prior car, a Plymouth Reliant had natural rubber seals, and thus
could not tolerate ANY ethanol.  At the time of purchase, 1989 in California
this seemed an ignorable limitation as the nearest gasahol station
was 50mi away.

The engine was French built.  After blowing a head, I replaced the engine
with an American-built engine that removed the ethanol prohibition.
My current car, a Saturn SL2, assembled in Tennessee
claims compatibility with E85.

Hopefully helpful,
--
Dr. Robert J. Meier