[mdlug] Automotive technical info wanted (only slightly off topic)

Robert Meier eaglecoach at wwnet.com
Sat May 5 08:45:22 EDT 2007

Drew,

Your car is presumably equipped with the EPA-required
OBD (on-board diagnostics) bus specified by SAE J1850.

> * The pin-outs to the Data-Link Connector

Probably specified by SAE J1962.

> * What information can be obtained via this link

The EPA specifies a minimum set of information (SAE J2012),
and manufacturers add their own  (see vehicle service manual).

> * And what would it take to make this engine E85 (or better yet,
>    M85/coalgas/woodgas) capable?

In addition to programming changes, you would probably need to
test the matterials for vulnerability to alcohol (no natural rubber),
methane (from wood), sulfur dioxide (from coal), as well as test
the linkages, head, and transmission components for operating range
sufficient for the different speeds and forces involved.

> What information can you Ford people get hold of?

I'm personally interested in how to interpret the mode 9(?) messages
used to control/monitor accessory functions for a Saturn with service
manual.

Hopefully helpful,
--
Dr. Robert J. Meier