[mdlug] HAL daemon

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Thu May 3 18:10:28 EDT 2007

jack freeman wrote:
>> From: Raymond McLaughlin <driveray at ameritech.net>
>>
>> jack freeman wrote:
>>> I just moved and when i went to go start up my Mandrake 2007 box.
>>> It is now stopping at "Starting HAL daemon" and ejects the DVD tray.
>>> The box has been running fine for about 2 months with no down time.
>>> Any Ideas?
>>
>> Does Mandriva offer any sort of "fail safe" start up option?

> yes it does and it will boot into that

Since you just moved, the very first thing to do would be to open up the
box and see if any cables came loose during the move. Also see that any
 expansion cards are well seated in their slots. And check the cabling
out side the box for good measure.

If the problem persists after checking these things, then further
investigation is called for. This would involve comparing the two boot
stanzas from your /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Printing, or otherwise
exporting, a copy of this file and posting it here would help with this
step.