[mdlug] Script Writing: email notification

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 17:52:55 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007, Craig Maloney wrote:
> Robert Adkins wrote:
> > Hey All,
> >
> >     Is there a way to have a script generate an email?
>
> What scripting language, and what environment? Under UNIX / Linux
> there's several options:
>
> 1) Call mail or mutt directly.
> 2) Use Perl to send a mail using "sendmail -t".
> 3) Use a Perl module Mail::Sendmail to send mail.
If you are using Perl, I find MIME::Lite to be an excellent tool.  I
selected it after reading it was simpler to use and more powerful than
the sendmail module (I think it was its successor).  Although I do not
have experience with Mail::Sendmail, I can say that MIME::Lite works
very well for multi-part emails with embedded images.  I could even
send you an example or two ;)

Cheers,

Mike

--