[mdlug] Vinyl to digital

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Mar 20 12:17:02 EDT 2007

> From: Dan Pritts

> If i were doing this i'd probably have
>  a) used a hardware preamp rather than doing it in software

 I dunno. The only preamp I have is... well... not in the best of
condition, and wasn't the greatest item when new either. So I figured
I'd get the best capture by eliminating as many analog steps as
possible. Within my meager needs it seems to have worked out okay.

>  b) sampled at 44.1KHz - although my understanding is that your
>     basic consumer sound card (including some that cost $200) will
>     always sample at 48KHz and resample in software - so i dunno
>     that it makes any difference in the standard case.

 That was my reasoning. I figured I'd stick with the native hardware
sample rate, and if I need to do resampling later, I can do it in
software at high quality. (Tools like sox do a very good job, at the
cost of a lot of CPU.) I vaguely remember hearing that consumer
soundcards didn't always do a good job at that...

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                                  (313) 227-2317

 "The [Bush] administration has already established that it has engaged in
 things like waterboarding, which is not just torture. We prosecuted people
   after World War II for waterboarding prisoners. We treated it as a war
  crime. And my God, what a change of fate, where we are now embracing the
  very thing that we once prosecuted people for." - Jonathan Turley, George
             Washington University Constitutional Law Professor
                   http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15318240/