[mdlug] GNUCash (Was: Knoppix from Windoze)

Robert Meier eaglecoach at wwnet.com
Mon Mar 19 22:14:03 EDT 2007

Stan,

> It has been said that GNU Cash is not ready.
> Why?

<IMHO>
I would say that Gnucash is as ready as Quicken.

The statement that "GNU Cash is not ready." probably stems
from the fact that Gnucash is single entry, but so is Quicken.
</IMHO>

A double entry system posts data both into journals
(referenced to source documents), and to ledgers
(referenced to external statements).
Consequently, like a forward-error-corrected transmission,
any single error of ommission, duplication, or misamount
can be identified and corrected.
In practice, any count of errors less than the sum of the count of
ledgers plus count of journals can be identified and corrected.

Single entry systems, like Quicken and Gnucash are merely register lists
like a checkbook.
A single error can only be found by guess (or brute comparison against
records filtered from a matching external ledger like a bank statement).

In the past, I've supported businesses that successfully used
MacMoney, PDS, and other commercial double-entry systems.

> Also, is there any way to run it in KDE?
> I seems to be a Gnome only program.

Yes.  SuSE installs Gnucash under KDE by default.
I'm not aware of a problem running under KDE.

Hopefully helpful,
--
Dr. Robert J. Meier