[mdlug] are we dead yet?

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Jul 25 08:38:59 EDT 2007

> From: M. D. Krauss

> My response was that
> things have changed a lot, and people don't actually *need* a LUG
> anymore; but that LUGs were still a fantastic source of free tech
> support, far better then most commercial tech support for proprietary
> systems.

 Something I posted on Slashdot yesterday:

 So far as I can see, every operating system runs into situations that
require a 'guru'. My parents are running Ubuntu pretty happily, and while
I have to do their tech support... well, I was doing that with Windows,
too, and now I don't have to fret so much about malware. My wife got me a
t-shirt for my birthday that says "No, I will not fix your computer."
because of all the 'tech support' requests I get from family and friends.
Of course, the vast majority of those were Windows. I'll still do Linux
support, but Windows-using people are SOL unless they are immediate family
members. I just don't have time for the rest.

 LUGs are nice for asking such questions; Google doesn't know everything,
and practical experience can be hard to find sometimes. :->

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                                 (313) 227-2317

 "In an illustrative recent study, subjects were asked their opinion about
  a social welfare policy, which was described as being endorsed either by
   Democrats or by Republicans. Although the subjects sincerely believed
   that their responses were based on the objective merits of the policy,
   the major determinant of what they thought of the policy was in fact
  whether or not their favored political party was said to endorse it."
                - Paul Bloom and Deena Skolnick Weisberg
          (study at: http://content2.apa.org/journals/psp/85/5/808)