[mdlug] are we dead yet?

Mike Ward unforgiven24 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 09:29:07 EDT 2007

LUGs won't die, they'll change. Installfests aren't needed to get the
average Joe on linux anymore, but regardless, nothing beats having a
well-connected network of people in an area to whom questions can be
asked, advice requested, or just jokes told. A random person playing
around with Linux might not need a LUG to do so anymore, but that's
hardly a death sentence.

Besides, people like me like to lurk on mailing lists and whore out
own own LUGs to  them (*coughwaynestateuniversitylug*), and just kind
of have "an ear to the ground". I almost treat the mailing list like
an RSS feed that I occasionally can post on.