[mdlug] [OT] Perspective

A. Kalten akalten at comcast.net
Sat Jul 21 12:13:30 EDT 2007

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 05:08:18 -0400
Paul <set at pobox.com> wrote:

> Effectiveness of toolset and religiosity of applications
> are far less compelling than the love of tools in general;

Some would say that the definition of humanness is toolmaking.

The greatest period of inventiveness (i.e. toolmaking) in
human history just happened to occur in the United States
of America between roughly 1850 and 1950.  During that period,
everything that we associate with modern civilization was pulled
from the magic hat of American creativity (I am not being
chauvinistic; I am only stating the facts.).

But, as the dates indicate, that period is over.  No longer,
it seems, is the social consciousness so unconcernedly receptive
to new and vigorous ideas.  Those who make an attempt at change
will more than likely be met with disbelief and even contempt.
The failure of Linux and Open Source, which are beyond doubt quite
innovative concepts, to capture the spirit of most people may be
the best indication of this growing cultural complacency.

Contemporary people are afraid of change.  Even in such mundane
activities as shopping they will avoid the fresh new entrepreneur
and seek only the well established venues.  Woe unto the foolish
investor who decides to back the creative maverick.  The smart
money flows only to the well worn ranks of the status quo.