[mdlug] CAD vs CAE (for linux)

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 15:42:22 EDT 2007

On 7/9/07, Ingles, Raymond <Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:
>  The only game that I play on Linux that required any kind of 'crack' was
> "American McGee's Alice". Plays great under Wine, flawlessly as far as I
> can tell.

The reason cracks are needed for some games under Wine is that the
developers can't see the protection system code without signing an NDA
which would prevent them from releasing code written to support it.
However, there has been progress in emulating the Windows systems the
protection mechanisms rely on in order to get them to stop false
triggering.  Macrovision Safedisc is the most common one.