[mdlug] Benchmark Data Needed

Paul set at pobox.com
Sat Jul 7 02:11:29 EDT 2007

Garry Stahl <tesral at comcast.net>, on Fri Jul 06, 2007 [11:47:40 PM] said:
> This is Garry's wife, Sue.  I am writing something on Linux for a
> college course & need some data.  Does anyone have any websites with
> recent data of Linux speed vs Windows speed?  I'd also like to pin down
> the number of lines of source code in Linux vs the number in Windows if
> possible.
>
> Does anyone out there have any good places to look?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --

	Hi;

	Speed can be hard to pin down; are you talking about how fast
OpenOffice loads when using Gnome as your window manager, vs. windows?
How fast the machine goes from cold boot to login prompt? Which can
serve the most web pages/sec? (static or dynamic?) Raw disk performance?
[Google keywords to search on here would include 'linux windows benchmarks
comparision' etc.]
	One would think the lines of code would be easier to quantify,
but thats tricky too. Windows Vista is generally pegged at 50 million LOC,
but thats the whole distribution. Distributions like Debian can weigh in
at much more than that, but thats because Debian includes 10's of thousands
of programs. A more fair comparison would involve just the kernel code.
I dont know what the Vista kernel has, but the linux kernel is currently
about 8 million LOC. But if you track down the LOC for Vista's kernel,
you should take into account that the Linux kernel LOC is over half
drivers and over a quarter code for different architectures. Windows
at best supported 2 architectures, and includes very few drivers. Linux
has wads of drivers in the kernel code base (very few drivers
exist outside the kernel code base), and supports 25 different
cpu architectures. The linux kernel almost certainly has a much
much smaller core than Vista.

Paul
set at pobox.com

https://ols2006.108.redhat.com/2007/Reprints/kroah-hartman-Reprint.pdf