[mdlug] Is Vista going to be the new Windows ME?

Michael Rudas (computer) mpr_linux at ameritech.net
Tue Jan 30 18:02:48 EST 2007

--- Raymond Ingles wrote:

> > An ongoing forum thread at CNet brings up an
> > interesting question:

[snippette]
> 3. Their DRM work is attempting an impossible goal.
> Not just impractical, physically impossible.
> So it *can't* work, but it *can* be a massive
> headache and inconvenience.

Exactly.  A favorite quote from the Gutman paper:

"(I)n order to work, Vista's content protection must
be able to violate the laws of physics, something
that's unlikely to happen no matter how much the
content industry wishes that it were possible."

<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html#c>

Heh.  Mike Wendland was on Ch. 4 news last night.  On
Vista, he was basically saying "Don't do it." Funny.

-- Mikey