[mdlug] Where's the "Linux Home Server"

Ron Blanchett rrcb21 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 10 20:18:58 EST 2007

----- Original Message ----

From: Kristoffer Marshall <marshall.kris at gmail.com>

To: MDLUG's Main discussion list <mdlug at mdlug.org>

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 4:52:33 PM

Subject: Re: [mdlug] Where's the "Linux Home Server"

Samba, NFS, FTP, HTTP... Also, hacking together FancyIndex includes for

Apache can amazingly give you professional and speedy results. I haven't

played with MythTV much, but I heard it's supposed to be the

bomb-diggity for this kind of stuff.

MythTV is the best I have found so far for doing this on linux and they are working
on an official windows frontend port too. M$ is trying to do the same with
media center/windows home server/xbox*/media player11 and apple is getting in the
game now also with appleTV (But it only support streaming from your itunes library ATM).

To anyone in the FOSS world it looks like M$ and Apple are just now jumping on
the bank wagon and trying to catch up with tools we have had for years. But to
people outside our little corner of the Software world it looks like someone
is finally bringing tools like this to the world.

All the more reasons we need to create videos that demonstrate our tools and
show them off to the world. We need to get people outside of the FOSS community
to see that the tools that M$ and Apple are just now bringing to market have been
around in the world for quite some time and that these tools are free for anyone to
use. Don't try to talk to someone that has no idea what source code is about it and
the fact that they can modify it. You will loose there interest in the software because
they will start to think that they need some special skill to run the programs. Just talk
to them about how easy the software is to use, that it is free for anyone to use, and that
they can give a copy to their friends and relatives without worry because no-one has to pay
for said software ever.

Viva la FOSS videos, they need to be made & published with the creative commons or GPL2.
-Ron