[mdlug] An Idea inspired by....

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Tue Jan 9 11:55:43 EST 2007

bob dion wrote:
> Robert Adkins wrote:
>
>> Bob dion wrote:
>>
>>> FREEDOM!!!
>>>
>>> BD
>>>
>>     One of the definitions of FREEDOM!!! still includes choice, the last
>> time I looked.
>>

> It Saddens me to no end how many GNU/Linux users do not understand what
> the Free Software Movement is all about. The GPL protects the rights of
> the software user. The EULA, that most people accept with out reading,
> take their rights way.

    I do understand that aspect of the movement.

    I also firmly believe that the movement is never going to 'win' by
being so staunchly in opposition to commercial software.

    The goal should be to work easily together and show how it can work
easily together. Then, when Commercial software invariably starts
clamping down and making it impossible for users to do what they are
legally able to and have every right to do, users will start switching
on over as they discover the shortcomings.

    This won't happen when the face of GPL software looks like a raving
lunatic (unshaven, wild hair) screaming about how terrible EULAs are and
proclaiming the destruction of commercial software with a rabid gleam in
his eye. (Which quite often is the face of GPL F/OSS movement.)
>>     It's not really FREEDOM!!! if you have no choices.
>>

> I didn't say you didn't have a Choice. But remember, one gives up their
> Software Freedom when one choses Windows.

    I give up my software freedom when I stick to one platform.

    If I stick to Windows, I miss out on all the sweet Linux software
that let's me do what I want to do, without ripping my wallet in half.

    If I stick to Linux, I miss out on things like the advanced features
of an application like Photoshop that has color controls that are way
beyond the GIMP that are a must for professional digital photography. (A
business that I am getting into.) I also miss out on the Windows only
CAD/CAM Software that the business I work for requires to do its thing.
I also miss out on job opportunities where the employer uses Windows. If
I say, "I use Linux only." I have screwed my chances of working at a
number of businesses.

    Would choosing one of those platforms really "Free" me or would it
lock me into something that limits my potential?
>>     With that said, I find myself using Linux most often as a server,
>> although I do play around with Linux on my laptop from time to time, it
>> just doesn't fulfill all of my needs to the same level as Windows
>> happens to.
>>

> By defending the use of Windows for a little convenience one also,
> unknowingly, defends such things as DMCA, DRM, TC (Trusted?? Computing),
> closed file formats, closed standards, closed protocols, software
> patents and the next dirty trick MS will pull on us...including a BIOS
> that will require a certificate before it will allow an OS to load and
> run. I don't know about anyone else, but I see my choices and freedom
> slowly fading away. When the DRM law was passed, it effectively made
> each and everyone of us a criminal and allows MS and other corporations
> to treat us as such. I truly fear that one day I will wake up and find
> that MS has complete control of my TV, radio, media streamer,
> automobile, cell phone, computer, the Internet and other electronic
> device that directly or indirectly effect my life not because they were
> technically better but because they are better at manipulating the
> market and laws.

    As that day approaches, people will start walking away from those
products. How well is the Zune doing, compared to the "equally" as DRM'd
music player known as the iPod? With the iPod you can rip your CD's into
MP3s and actually share those ripped CD's with friends. You can't do
that with the Zune. With the iPod, you can buy MP3s from various online
sites. The Zune doesn't even work with all the music services that
Microsoft is part of. (Play4Sure ring a bell?)
> Freedom is not Free, one has to work at it. GNU/Linux is more that just
> a technical solution.

    Of course Freedom is not Free. The marketplace isn't the only place
where this battle needs to be fought. This battle must be fought within
our political system, because that is where commercial software is
fighting the battle. If F/OSS doesn't wade in there, it won't matter how
good the technology is, if it is all illegal to even look at. The
marketplace itself is only 5% (maybe 10%) of the war.
> BD
>
> PS. As you might have guest, I feel strongly about this issue. I tried
> to express myself in such a way as not to offend. If I failed, I apologize.

    I feel strongly about this as well.

    -Rob