[mdlug] An Idea inspired by....

bob dion bobdion at starline-ent.com
Tue Jan 9 10:50:40 EST 2007

Robert Adkins wrote:
> Bob dion wrote:
>> FREEDOM!!!
>>
>> BD
>     One of the definitions of FREEDOM!!! still includes choice, the last
> time I looked.

It Saddens me to no end how many GNU/Linux users do not understand what
the Free Software Movement is all about. The GPL protects the rights of
the software user. The EULA, that most people accept with out reading,
take their rights way.

>     It's not really FREEDOM!!! if you have no choices.

I didn't say you didn't have a Choice. But remember, one gives up their
Software Freedom when one choses Windows.

>     With that said, I find myself using Linux most often as a server,
> although I do play around with Linux on my laptop from time to time, it
> just doesn't fulfill all of my needs to the same level as Windows
> happens to.

By defending the use of Windows for a little convenience one also,
unknowingly, defends such things as DMCA, DRM, TC (Trusted?? Computing),
closed file formats, closed standards, closed protocols, software
patents and the next dirty trick MS will pull on us...including a BIOS
that will require a certificate before it will allow an OS to load and
run. I don't know about anyone else, but I see my choices and freedom
slowly fading away. When the DRM law was passed, it effectively made
each and everyone of us a criminal and allows MS and other corporations
to treat us as such. I truly fear that one day I will wake up and find
that MS has complete control of my TV, radio, media streamer,
automobile, cell phone, computer, the Internet and other electronic
device that directly or indirectly effect my life not because they were
technically better but because they are better at manipulating the
market and laws.

Freedom is not Free, one has to work at it. GNU/Linux is more that just
a technical solution.

BD

PS. As you might have guest, I feel strongly about this issue. I tried
to express myself in such a way as not to offend. If I failed, I apologize.