[mdlug] video card recommendation?

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Tue Dec 25 23:06:23 EST 2007

2007-12-25, Monsieur Jeff Hanson a ecrit:
> On Dec 24, 2007 6:54 PM, Jeff Hanson <jhansonxi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know what kind of slots the mobo has.    Is there a good
> brand of card that is designed to work with Linux?    Are there video
> card vendors that are sympathetic to linux?    Thanks, Dean
>>
>> What type of interface - ISA, EISA, MCA, PCI, AGP, PCIe?
>
> Maybe that was a mildly stupid question.

I was thinking more along the lines that you left out VLB. :)

As far as video card vendors that are sympathetic to Linux, I'd
say Intel. They've open-sourced the drivers for their video chipsets,
unlike Nvidia and ATI (although ATI has announced that they will
open-source the drivers for their newer cards).

If having open-source drivers doesn't matter, then toss a coin
between ATI and Nvidia. They both have proprietary drivers that
work with Linux, both have their detractors and fanboys. Getting
into an ATI vs Nvidia debate is like getting into KDE vs GNOME,
Emacs vs vi, etc. (i.e. Good vs Evil :).

Michael