[mdlug] WiFi -Woes(?) or Broadcom is 'the' lame

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Sat Dec 1 08:18:36 EST 2007

> 	Dear Gods above, no!  This is terrible advice.
>
> 1.  This is massively vulnerable to MAC spoofing attacks.
>
> 2.  By doing that, it's now possible to sniff everything
> that's happening on that network.  Any semblance of
> protection is an illusion.
>   There is no protection, let alone the router providing it.
> More secure?  Not even close.
>
> 	WPA2 + MAC filtering is a better idea.  WPA2-enterprise
> is an even better idea with full-bore 802.1x on top of it,
> but most people aren't going to want to sink that much time
> into their home networks.  *grin*.
>   WPA2 + AES-CCMP is pretty good, as long as one chooses a
> nice random hex string.  The issue is that the passphrases
> most people use really stink.  The thing about WPA(2) was
> that TKIP was about as bad as WEP was, and IIRC used the same
>  RC4 implementation.  AES-CCMP or nothing.

	Thanks for the information.

 	I never use plain old passphrases. I usually open up notepad or vi
or kate and just mash some keys along with tapping the shift key from time
to time. Since it is my home network and I'm really unconcerned with leaving
a password out, I write down the results and store it in a hidey-hole, in
case I need to type it into something down the road.

	Giving me results like this:

	JKGHYDfuyuyd%#$%fvjkyfRYE$#

	Still haven't had the time to give the supposedly newer Windows
drivers a go with NDIS. Hopefully, there will be some time this afternoon.

	-Rob