[mdlug] Flakey hard drive

R. Kannan rkannan at peoplepc.com
Mon Aug 20 09:34:23 EDT 2007

It looked like the /etc/mtab was leftover from the last successful reboot which had ended in the system hang because of the disk failure. The partitions were not cleanly unmounted. Note that I had to change the mtab after copying it. To use your example,

cp /etc/mtab /mnt/restore/etc/.
vi /mnt/restore/etc   # To change "/mnt/restore" to "/" in all the mounted partitions and save
chroot /mnt/restore
grub-install /dev/hda

Thanks