[mdlug] Windows is free (Now Photography Junk)

M. D. Krauss zeros0and1ones at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 00:47:48 EDT 2007

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:41:41 -0400
"Robert Adkins" <radkins at impelind.com> wrote:

/snip

>   I used to think it was "Good Enough". Now that I am seriously
> getting into photography and have done a few paying jobs, GIMP is
> simply gimping my productivity.

Interesting.  I think a lot of the issues you mention probably go back
to the fact that GIMP was originally designed for web image creation
more than for photo manipulation.  I've heard others complain about the
handling of very large images, although I believe that it has improved
a lot.  You might want to give it another try if you haven't in a while.

The bulk handling you are looking for is another matter.  I'm pretty
confident intuitively that GIMP probably can do that better than
Photoshop - with it's script-ability, this is the kind of thing at
which GIMP generally can excel.  I would ask on a GIMP mailing list.
It's possible that you would have to write a script, but more probable
that someone already has :)

Good luck,
Matthew