[mdlug] Windows is free (Now Photography Junk)

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Fri Aug 17 08:41:41 EDT 2007

	I'm not talking about RAW Images. I have used that plugin. The GIMP
RAW plugin isn't quite as "automatic" as the Canon RAW converter. I also
haven't found a way to have it rifle through a set series of photos at one
time.

	With the Canon converter, I can visually compare all of the images
on disk in thumbnails. Then, I can select a number of images with very
similar lighting, contrast and other features and affect the exposure/export
changes to all of those images at one single time. Getting into photography
as a business, this is an incredibly important tool as I could have well
over 300 exposures from one photoshoot.

	The GIMP converter can handle one image at a time. It also takes
longer to do that. The GIMP has other problems as well. For instance, it
handles image caching like garbage.

  At the office, I receive print files in TIF format from customers, at
times, these images are extremely massive once opened in GIMP and the whole
computer slows to a crawl. It can take upwards of ten minutes to perform a
single action. This is on a fairly beefy computer with 2GB of RAM. (I have
also played with the memory settings of GIMP and set it to the maximum that
it can use without yelling about not enough free memory being available to
start.)

  Sometimes, these images are just to big. So, I have to bring in my laptop
and put the image through Photoshop Elements 2.0. My laptop is about 4 years
old now and is starting to show its age, yet PS Elements easily handles the
files that choke the crap out of GIMP.

  GIMP is good, if all you need to do is play around with one or two photos
at a time. It's just not up to standards of high-end professional
requirements.

  I used to think it was "Good Enough". Now that I am seriously getting into
photography and have done a few paying jobs, GIMP is simply gimping my
productivity.

  -Rob