[mdlug] News Flash from Groklaw: Judge Kimball rules

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Mon Aug 13 09:16:25 EDT 2007

> From: Jeff Hanson

> On 8/10/07, Rich Clark <rrclark at rrclark.net> wrote:
> > The Unix and Unixware copyrights belong to Novell! SCO is cat food!
>
> As expected, nobody owes SCO anything.  They just need to license IP
> from M$.  :P

 Actually, there's kind of a legal trick shot there. Since SCO doesn't own
the copyrights on Unix, legally they were just 'renting' them for Novell.
And so, the deals that SCO made with Microsoft and Sun? A substantial
percentage of that money is owed to Novell.

 Kind of an ouch for SCO. Now here's the interesting thing... the details
of those agreements were not made public. But Novell is legally entitled to
that money. So SCO can either (a) reveal the details of the agreements to
Novell, and do some accounting to figure out how much SCO owes them, or else
(b) SCO can offer a settlement and keep the details undisclosed. It would
seem that (b) is unlikely - SCO would have to offer a *lot* - so we may well
get a peek at just what MS and Sun 'bought' from SCO.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                            (313) 227-2317

 "Lately I've been getting the impression that overzealous censorship
   [...] is an adult manifestation of fear of cooties." - anonymous