[mdlug] nxserver broke

tony at bemushosting.com tony at bemushosting.com
Mon Aug 13 00:47:38 EDT 2007

I have nxserver (freenx) installed on my Ubuntu 7.4 Feisty that allows me to run a remote X session from another computer, like VNC but much faster.  I love this and use it a lot when times are slow at work.  Well it is broken and I can not seem to figure out how to fix it. Here is the details:
Ubuntu 7.4 Feisty
Pentium 4 2.4
1280MB ram

The problem started after I changed my Video card from a ATI All-in-wonder Rage 9800 Pro to a Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4400.  I also ran some updates.

The nvidia-settings app completely rewrote the xorg.conf file. I have a backup of the file but nothing from the orignal file seems to fix it.  Does anyone know what, if any, changes to the xorg.conf file nxserver makes?

I use the "Update manager" that is with the new Ubuntu and don't remember what packages it updated. Maybe if I could find the log file of the updated packages I could track down the problem.

All I know for certain that now I go to connect with the client,  it connects to the computer, authenticates, and goes to start the x session and then craps out.  The client says "Session Failed".  It gives me the deatils of the attempted connection but there is nothing that I can see that would tell me why it doesn't connect.  Here is the details:

Info: Display running with pid '3980' and handler '0x120df4'.
NXPROXY - Version 3.0.0
Copyright (C) 2001, 2007 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.
Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid '5388'.
Session: Starting session at 'Mon Aug 13 00:44:39 2007'.
Warning: Connected to remote version 2.1.0 with local version 3.0.0.
Info: Connection with remote proxy completed.
Info: Using ADSL link parameters 512/24/1/0.
Info: Using cache parameters 4/4096KB/16384KB/16384KB.
Info: Using image streaming parameters 50/128/1024KB/2048/256.
Info: Using image cache parameters 1/1/65536KB.
Info: Using pack method '16m-jpeg-7' with session 'unix-gnome'.
Info: Using ZLIB data compression 3/3/32.
Info: Using ZLIB stream compression 6/6.
Info: No suitable cache file found.
Info: Forwarding X11 connections to display ':0'.
Session: Session started at 'Mon Aug 13 00:44:40 2007'.
Info: Established X server connection.
Info: Using shared memory parameters 1/4096K.
Session: Terminating session at 'Mon Aug 13 00:44:41 2007'.
Session: Session terminated at 'Mon Aug 13 00:44:41 2007'.

And thats it...

If someone know what the problem is I would love the answer but I think my answer is going to be a general  How to track down the application problem

--
Tony Bemus