[mdlug] DHCP question

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Tue Aug 7 12:19:53 EDT 2007

	Go ahead and assign the print server a static IP Address.

	The way DHCP works is that the DHCP server does a few things when it
receives a request.

	First, it checks available addresses by looking at the leased
address list.

	Then, it decides upon an IP Address it wants to assign.

	After determining the address is wants to assign it sends out a
quick broadcast, basically saying, "Hey! I want to hand out Address X to
So-and-So, does anyone object?"

	If something on the network has that address, statically assigned or
otherwise a response comes back, "Uh... Dude! I am totally using that
address, don't go an bogart my address by giving it to someone else! I am
not in the mood for a fight!"

	Then the DHCP server goes back to figuring out which address it can
hand out and does another broadcast.

	Basically, you won't have anything to worry about by putting one
machine as a static address. Another thing you could do is set the range of
DHCP available addresses to a certain number, say 5 to 10 different
adddresses and then place the Print server in an address outside of that
range. (Make sure you use the same subnet though...)

	-Rob