[mdlug] DHCP question

R. Kannan rkannan at peoplepc.com
Tue Aug 7 12:15:29 EDT 2007

All,

I have a router which runs firewall and a DHCP server. I also have a wireless print server (it is a long story) which acts as client pulling IP addresses. The lease time is set at 24 hrs but I find that the print server is not requesting for a renewal causing my print jobs to fail after the lease expires. Rebooting the print server causes it to make another request and so fixes the problem. I cannot find a way of making the print server request a renewal periodically (I thought DHCP standard requires a renewal request after 50% of the time had past).

My question is can I go around this problem by assigning static IP address to the print server and making sure that that the DHCP server does not assign that to other clients?

TIA for your help