[mdlug] ESX3 IO Problems

Morris, Tim tmorris at ugs.com
Fri Aug 3 11:18:39 EDT 2007

Are there any ESX gurus out there?

I have a bad I/O problem with our ESX 3.0.2 build 52542 server that I
thought I would ask about. The same problem occurs when using
3.0.1-32029 (unpatched).

Host Computer:
Dell Poweredge 2850 BIOS A06
2x 3.0 GHz Xeon Procs (HT disabled)
4GB RAM
Dual Intel 8254NXX Gigabit Ethernet onboard
PERC 4E/Di
2x 146GB SCSI3 (Maxtor) drives internal (RAID 1)
1 LD = ~139GB
PERC 4E/Dc
Powervault 220VS w/ 10x 146GB SCSI3 (Maxtor) drives (RAID 5 w/ 2
hotspares)
1LD = 979MB
All components have been updated to the latest availble firmware from
Dell (even all 12 drives!)

My problem is any type of file operation seems to hang every 50-200MB.
cp, ftp, scp, everything.
You can see it with an ftp hash especially. It hangs for a second, then
takes off again.

I have put together some transfer stats for you to look at (attached).

Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Any Performance testing/diagnostic utils/tips?
Any more info needed?
Anyone run into this before?

I could really use some help on this...  Any suggestions would be
helpful.

Tim Morris
Systems Engineer
Siemens Automation and Drives