[mdlug] Transfer Calculator

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Apr 27 11:59:01 EDT 2007

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Jonathan Billings wrote:
>> While it is a very cool web app, I don't think it counts as Web 2.0,
>
> But who cares?
>
> Web 2.0 is NOT a standard, it's just a media buzz-word.

Web 2.0 is a pretty vague term, I agree.  However, Asynchronous
Javascript and XML (AJAX) is well-defined, as is the other protocols it
is layered on.

> Buying into the lingo of propagandizers only empowers them,
> and rarely for your benefit.

Maybe I'm not the right target audience, however, I haven't found anyone
trying to abuse some sort of business relationship with me using the
term Web 2.0.  I probably don't read the right trade magazines.  Its
like the term, "The Internet Superhighway".  It's not really like a
highway, but you keep hearing it used by people who don't know better,
or who *should* know better.  (And it is really a series of tubes
anyway... :)

Should you care about the technology referred to with the term "Web
2.0"?  I think so.