[mdlug] [(DIS)RECOMMENDATIONS] used/new laptop

Morris, Tim tmorris at ugs.com
Thu Apr 26 09:40:41 EDT 2007

I love my Dell D810...
* Nice keyboard/touchpad layout (or I'm used to it :)
* Good battery lif (2.5 hours with a new battery)
* Plays World of Warcraft very well (even windowed!)
!! Dells do seem a bit cheaper on some components. IBMs last longer.
!! Battery is proprietary (aren't all laptop batteries?)
!! PSU actually has an ID signal, telling the D810 if it's a supported
model. If it's not, it will NOT charge the battery.   	Found that out
the hard way with my UN-supported 12v adapter.
* I believe it has S-Video/Composite & S/PDIF out using a dongle.
* USB 2.0
* Serial port
!! No PS/2 ports (except on dock)
!! No parallel port. (except on dock)
* DVI-D port on dock (not on laptop)

That probably doesn't help you, but at least you know NOT to buy one if
those features are really important to you!

I also like my IBM A31p, but it's not with me at the moment so I can't
tell you what ports it has/doesn't have. I do know it is NOT usb 2.0
however.

I have a slew of other Dell <400MHz laptops also, but you don't want any
of those... Trust me.

--  Tim Morris - UGS