[mdlug] [(DIS)RECOMMENDATIONS] used/new laptop

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Thu Apr 26 05:14:42 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 22:26 -0400, Robert Meier wrote:
> Portables,
>
> My Dell Latitude laptop broke this weekend.
> The 3mm square posts and hinge that attached the display to the console
> broke at the screw holes.
> Though I will attempt to chemically reweld the posts,
> I am not confident of success.
>
> I am looking for (dis)recommendations for a used (or new) laptop.
>
> My principle uses include (most-frequent -> least frequent):
>    o portable development environment (e.g. text editting)
>    o portable training environment (e.g. java sandbox, flight simulator)
>    o presentations (via local web server)
>    o portable data entry (e.g. PS/2 barcode scanning)
>    o sound recording
>    o household appliance programming/control
>
> At this time, my priniciple desired features include (most to least important):
>    o long battery life (> 2hr)
>      o inexpensive (non-proprietary) battery type
>    o coaxial power supply plug (to use cheap power supplies at common sites)
>      o ideally 12V for car use
>    o robust
>    o many output options (e.g. SVGA, TV)
>    o mid to hi-fi sound input/output
>    o support for wireless (either builtin or cardbus)
>    o parallel port/serial port (preferably builtin)
>    o usb-2.0
>
> Any suggestions for manufacturers/models and/or features to seek or avoid
> are appreciated.
>
> TIA,

Dr. Meier,
	Either a Lenovo T60p
<http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/notebooks/thinkpad/t-series/workstation.html?re=home_Innov_us>, or something from <http://itxchange.com/ITXchange/>. I've bought a fair amount of stuff from the latter. Never a problem.
	The red plane is still flying, the glider was sacrificed for it's
servo's and receiver.

Regards,
--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>