[mdlug] Web 2.0

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 10:07:23 EDT 2007

On 4/23/07, Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net> wrote:

> Yeah, back in the Java 1.1 days applets were indeed not so great.
> But nowadays, on modern machines, they're much better. Definitely
> better than the webapps that use AJAX (i.e. DHTML + JavaScript).
> With all the problems that JavaScript has (to the point where
> many people just disable it in their browser), I just don't see
> AJAX as a viable option. The AJAX apps I've seen are horrible.

I think a couple million (?) Gmail users disagree with you. But you
are entitiled to your opinion. Personally, I use Firefox to limit what
Javascript can do, but I leave it enabled. Now I'm not sure of your
definition of "many", but I guarantee that MOST people do not disable
Javascript.

> Web 2.0 in general is just a bunch of hype about nothing.

Now that I agree with. But AJAX apps (done well) are teh sweet.

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/