[mdlug] OpenSuse 10.2/Apache 2.2/Active Directory

Carl T. Miller millerc at cantonpl.org
Mon Apr 9 09:44:08 EDT 2007

Morris, Tim wrote:
> Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me.
>
> I am trying to setup a BackupPC server for a few systems in my office.
> Ideally, I would like to have the users authenticate using their AD
> (domain) credentials. I would also like to do it using the stock
> software provided with OpenSuse 10.2, which is currently Apache 2.2. I'd
> love to use a different distro, but the office is moving to Suse Ent.
> (more or less) for some things, so I'd better get some experience with
> it. I don't really care if apache magically authenticates with windows
> (not asking for login/password), but I do want it to authenticate to the
> domain controllers.
>
> Currently, I have AD authentication setup for the linux host. I can
> login as an AD user and it will create the home directory and
> everything. Apache still doesn't work.

Yes, the hooks you have for AD only work for logging in as
a user on the OS.    You don't have any hooks in place for
either apache authentication or backuppc.  I believe there
is a way to have apache authenticate to AD, but I don't think
there is a way to do it with backuppc.

You might try googling for "AD authentication backuppc" to
see if anyone is working on this.