[mdlug] badblocks question

Grant glarb at comcast.net
Wed Apr 4 09:45:21 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 15:01 -0400, Robert Adkins wrote:
>     Get into orbit and nuke the place, it's the only way to be sure...
>
>     Er... uh, wrong suggestion.
>
>     Get new HDs, copy over the data, put them in place of the old HDs
> and retire the drives with the bad blocks. It's one way to be really
> sure and safe. (You can try reformatting the "bad blocks" drives after
> replacing them.)
>
>     -Rob
>
> Jason Taylor wrote:
> > If the server hasn't had any recent dirty shutdowns, power fluctuations,
> > etc. then I would lean to a hardware issue.
> >
> > -Jason
> >
> > On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 10:42 -0700, Dean Durant wrote:
> >
> >> Hello, I have run badblocks on some IBM eSeries blades
> >> that I need to get fixed.   It reports about 2 million
> >> bad blocks on an 80 GB disk.   IBM has me run their
> >> diagnostics and they don't find anything.  I have run
> >> fsck and it finds and fixes some filesystem issues,
> >> but the bad blocks persist.   Is there anything else I
> >> can do, and do people think it is a hardware issue, a
> >> bad disk, or a filesystem issue?   Thanks, Dean

May want to check the power supply before replacing drives.

About 2 years ago, I had two drives die about 3 months apart. Both where
primary slave of same machine (original disk and its replacement). When
the second disk died I considered that it could be a symptom and not the
cause. To make a short story shorter, it was the PSU. I cracked it open
and found a scorched resistor on a soot marked corner of the board. The
part I found interesting was that this PSU still appeared to work.
(Voltages were off, 12.16v instead of 11.5-11.8)

--
Grant