[mdlug] Moving to a new box

Rich Clark <rrclark@rrclark.net> rrclark at rrclark.net
Fri Dec 8 08:55:13 EST 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, jack freeman wrote:

> I am looking at moving my web server over to a new box but i want to
> keep all the settings that i have now. Is there a way to do this without
> reinstalling everything even if its all new hardware?
>
> Running mandravia 10.x

I'd move the old hard drive to the new box and do an update install of the
newer version. If you're moving to a larger hard drive on a new machine,
you should probably install the old hard drive in the new box and alias in
configuration and content-related directories as needed. It's a bit more
work but lots less than trying to copy individual directories from one
drive to the other.

--
Rich Clark

Summary of IBM's 04/04/2006 reply in support of
its Motion to Limit SCO's Claims Relating to
Allegedly Misused Material, with apologies to
Monty Python:

IBM: It's not much of a case, is it?

SCO: Finest in the district!

IBM: Explain the logic underlying that conclusion.

SCO: It's so clean!

IBM: It's certainly uncontaminated by evidence.

--thanks to Juggler9 on Groklaw.net

A good way to deal with stage fright is to first
imagine yourself naked, then imagine yourself
laughing at your naked self and pointing.  Then
you yell to yourself dressed as a cop to "Arrest
that pervert!" before beating your naked body
with a truncheon. -- nu-monet v8.0