[mdlug] Android

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at opengroupware.us
Wed Mar 10 13:34:48 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 13:18 -0500, Ron Blanchett wrote:
> I have the Moto Droid on VZW and I rooted the phone in the first few weeks
> of having it.

Stupid question: Why bother?

You can develop and install your own apps without voiding the
warranty/support - that is supported out of the box.

> It isn't all that easy for the phone companies to lock the android platform
> from user modification.
> I even have tethering on my Droid even though VZW doesn't support it for my
> phone.
> What you would have to worry about it cross carrier compatibility, i.e. ATT
> & T-mobile.
> If you take a T-Mo phone to ATT and vise-versa you will only have 2g
> coverage as the 3g signal frequencies are different between the two.

I very much doubt rooting the phone is going to help you with
cross-carrier compatibility.  The issues with network compatibility are
many and comples.
--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>