[mdlug] Android

Ron Blanchett muteid10t at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 13:18:39 EST 2010

I have the Moto Droid on VZW and I rooted the phone in the first few weeks
of having it.
It isn't all that easy for the phone companies to lock the android platform
from user modification.
I even have tethering on my Droid even though VZW doesn't support it for my
phone.

What you would have to worry about it cross carrier compatibility, i.e. ATT
& T-mobile.
If you take a T-Mo phone to ATT and vise-versa you will only have 2g
coverage as the 3g signal frequencies are different between the two.

On 3/10/10, David McMillan <skyefire at skyefire.org> wrote:

> On 3/8/2010 1:42 PM, Jeff Hanson wrote:
>
> > Another resource brought to you by those evil Google people :D
> > http://www.popsci.com/archives
>
>         Speaking of those "Evil Google People" (stick 'em up! This is a
> thread
> hijack!), does anyone have a good handle on just how locked up, or not,
> the Android phones are?  I've been wanting to get one, but I'm on AT&T
> and their first Android phone appears to have been deliberately
> I-Phone'd in order to avoid The Wrath of Apple.  I'm wondering if it's
> worth going after an unlocked Android to stick my SIM card into, or how
> effectively one can "jailbreak" a vendor-crippled Android.

-Ron

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within
what you are trying to defend from without." -- President Dwight Eisenhower