[mdlug] Linux Text Editors -- Try Cooledit

LAP mail1 at lapiet.info
Mon Jan 2 15:43:37 EST 2023

There are many text editors available for GNU/Linux.  Some of the popular
ones are vim, emacs, geany, and others that I cannot recall at the moment.

But there is one very competent, though somewhat obscure, text editor
that I would like to recommend for others to try: Cooledit.

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/apps/editors/X/cooledit/

Cooledit is a graphical editor which uses X Window libraries and
freetype but does not depend on other graphical toolkits like GTK+.

Cooledit is practically a DE in that it includes debugging, email,
and much else and is also programmable via Python.

My only dissatisfaction is that Cooledit uses the Noto font ensemble
to render Unicode and the Noto fonts are, to me, not that visually
appealing.  However, after a brief study of the source code I have
created a patch that allows use of the Liberation fonts that, again
to me, look much nicer.

I would encourage others to try this editor.  The above link has
a few binary packages as well as the source code.

Cooledit has been around for a while and I am surprised that this
fine text editor+ is not well known to most Linux users.