[mdlug] More about systemd

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Feb 16 08:16:25 EST 2023

Carl T. Miller said on Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:43:21 -0500

>I received a few questions about the presentation,
>so I searched for an online video and found a set
>of videos.
>
>It's called "systemd explained" and the first two
>chapters cover the material in my presentation.
>If you're interested in learning more, check it out.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1vgvhiyq0E

This is an outstanding set of videos. I bookmarked it for future use
and suggest everyone does. There are some things I think should be
added to this video:

* The third lesson, the one on journalctl, is unfindable.

* There should be much more explanation of type= and when you use each
  type for which situations.

* The way the video is phrased in times 1:45 through 2:40, a non-expert
  person could wrongly infer that the only init choices are systemd and
  sysvinit. There are, however, several other excellent init systems,
  such as:

  * Runit is a very simple and capable init that launches processes in
    parallel (parallel instantiation). Its run scripts are as simple as
    systemd's, but more maleable.

  * S6 is like runit, but with extensions yielding most or all of the
    useful features of systemd. S6 isn't as simple as runit.  Its run
    scripts are as simple as systemd's, but more maleable.

  * Busybox Init is a very simple and tiny init for use in a
    Busybox-booting system.

  * OpenRC has parallel instantiation and has been used in Gentoo and
    Funtoo for many years.

  * Epoch is a sequential instantiation init (like sysvinit), but my
    tests show it to boot very fast, and it's much simpler to set up
    than sysvinit. However, it's unmaintained.

I missed your presentation (way too busy this month). Perhaps you
covered these three items.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt