[mdlug] Fwd: LibreOffice Calc - auto-adjust column width

Rick Hall email5000 at usa.com
Fri Feb 10 15:32:18 EST 2023

FYI:
I was able to get the desired behavior... at-will; but I'm still not
exactly sure what specifically was causing the problem - I just know
(now) how to fix it.

A brief back-story:
I downloaded some 1099's from my investment firm as an Excel sheet
(could've opted for .csv, but chose .xls). I opened them in LO Calc,
then copied the relevant cells from the various files into an actual
(new) LO file. Some of the column headers in the new sheet were giving
me this problem.

To 'solve' it, I deleted (Ctl-X) the data in the column (column-header,
and the corresponding data-values), then pasted into an editor that
strips all formatting (Notepad, in this case), then copied THAT from
Notepad back into the worksheet (Ctl-X/Ctl-V). So there must have been
something funky about the original text. This even works 'correctly' in
text that has a Ctl-LF/CR to force a line break within the cell.

Thx
-R